Tuesday, June 16, 2015

ONE ACT PLAY:

“Currents of Future”


(The lights go up and the audience can see two women sitting down in a dinner booth. One is young, about 16, with medium length brown hair and blue/green eyes. The other looks to be about 80. She looks drained, almost dead, but very happy. She has very short gray hair, and deeply caring eyes. She looks like a much older version of the young woman with her. They seem to be bickering)


Old: Stop trying to change yourself so much. Conformity and comparison are the thieves of joy.

Young: Stop trying to be so “wise”; it’s annoying. Go to hell.

Old: I’m not trying to be anything. When you get to be my age, you’ll realize that there is no use in “trying” to be something. You either just have to do it, or not do it. Simple as that.

Young: I hope I never get to be as old as you.  Moth balls are not perfume of choice.

Old: Would you stop it? I'm your own grandmother, but you show no hesitation in treating me like I’ve done horrible wrongs by you.

Young: You’re right, I apologize.

(Silence lingers for quite some time)

Old: I want you to realize I know you even better than you know yourself, and you need to start embracing the power and beauty of your youth.

(The young woman laughs at this)

Old: I mean that, girls at your age are far too self-critical. You are not realizing that never again in your life will you be subject to so much freedom. And sure, sometimes it may seem like the limitations set in place by your parents are unfair, but I promise you, one day you’ll want these days back.

Young: I doubt that.

Old: Stop feeding such negative words to your brain. You would never say the things to another person that you say to yourself. These decisions that you’re making are affecting you in more ways than you’ll ever know.

Young: I doubt that.


Old: Shut the hell up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment